ACID is an enthusiastic supporter of the Intellectual Property Office’s support provided by its IP attachés worldwide, with whom we have a close relationship. IP attachés are IP liaison officers, who work with local UK Department for International Trade (DIT) alongside Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) leads to provide support for UK businesses seeking advice on local IP matters. They also:
- Raise awareness of IP through business outreach. This includes briefing business delegations, joint webinars with DIT, and local trade associations.
- Liaise with host governments and stakeholders about local and international IP frameworks / environment.
ACID CEO, Dids Macdonald, OBE said, “The IP attachés are a great resource, the good news is they are accessible and enthusiastic to share local/regional insight into IP issues, especially for SMEs.”
Check out the South East Asia contact details here.
Check out contact details for all IP attachés in all territories here.
The ASEAN IP Newsletter is a thrice yearly update on IP developments in South East Asia. The next edition will be in June 2021.
Headlines in this newsletter, further details here.
- Myanmar – New IP office expected to strengthen country’s global IP position; launch of trademark re-registration program; amendment to Trade Service Fees of Tradenet 2.0 System.
- Cambodia – Ratifies Berne Convention as 2021 TRIPS deadline looms.
- Thailand – Amendments to the Copyright Act 2020; TH domains available from 1st February 2021.
- Vietnam – New administrative penalties for violations in commercial activities; IP office tightening requirements for document signatories; temporarily reduces some IP fees by 50%; IP law amendments – workshop supported by the UK Government; UK signs FTA with Vietnam adopting EU IP provisions.
- Singapore – Ranked by WIPO as Asia’s most innovative nation; IPOS releases guidelines on registering non-physical products as designs; RCEP signed – includes chapter relating to IP; UK-SG FTA: securing bilateral trade in goods & services post-Brexit including enhancement in IP rights.
- Indonesia – New amendments to IP laws.
- Philippines – Revised rules of procedure for IP Rights cases to take effect on 16th November 2020.
- Malaysia – Trademarks (waiver & modification of fee) Regulations 2020.
- Regional – Has COVID hit ‘fast forward’ in the world of online IP filing?
- IPO Highlights – Business engagement goes virtual; introducing the trade mark pre-apply service; value of IP crime; IP rights enforcement manual for Vietnam, Indonesia and Philippines.