The ACID Copyright & Design Databank service offers ACID Members access to a Databank system where Members can lodge documents and images of their 2D or 3D designs if they are relying on unregistered design rights (UDR)/copyright or as an added safeguard for registered designs, underpinned by the strong ACID brand of deterrence.
Each year thousands of designs are lodged on ACID’s Copyright & Design Databank. This does not add to Unregistered Design Rights (UDR) but provides reliable 3rd party independent evidence of date of receipt by ACID i.e., an audit trail. Design files are held on our secure system and remain unseen by anyone unless required as evidence to substantiate design ownership. The majority of settlements on behalf of ACID members have been based on unregistered design rights. Enforcement of unregistered design right infringement is only as good as the evidence you can provide to substantiate ownership. Unregistered Design right only protects the shape or configuration of a 3D product. The IPO explains the differences between registered and unregistered design right further here.
Providing third party evidence to support unregistered design rights through the ACID Databank has proved to be an essential part of ACID Members’ IP strategies. From the original hard copy receipt of designs in the early 2000’s through disks, memory sticks and emails, ACID now has an amazing online upload system, accessible through the ACID website, which records and locks every file received with a unique identifying number. The ACID CDDB also provides an optional, downloadable certificate with unique identifying details of the files that you have uploaded and is time and date stamped. The ACID certificate is endorsed by PIPCU and signed by ACID Chief Counsel Nick Kounoupias.
SUBMITTING FILES TO THE COPYRIGHT & DESIGN DATABANK
It is simple for ACID Members to upload files containing their copyright works, designs and products online to the ACID Copyright & Design Databank. You can upload up to 12 files per submission which can be image files or in PDF format.
A few key points before you begin submitting your files!
- At just 1.50 plus vat per submission for up to 12 x 2MB size files of information this offers great value for money and you can purchase blocks of 10 upload credits from the ACID Shop
- Any files uploaded to the Copyright & Design Databank are kept secured and not visible to any other person
- Once you have completed your submission you will not be able to alter any information or files. This is because files are locked and you have now established a third party proof of the existence of your design on the date that it was submitted
- Download a certificate of your file upload endorsed by PIPCU and signed by ACID Chief Counsel Nick Kounoupias to use as dated evidence of your design
- View the Step by Step Guide in the Members Area